Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cowboys



Cowboys

These drawings are from a project I did rather obviously on cowboys. I didn't really have a highly conceptual plan, I think I just liked drawing cowboys! The project really was to try out different media, so I tried out a few new things. It's so nice to get out of the media you use by default. I'd definately like to incorporate lots of techniques into the next sequential/comic thing I make.


Lunch Break

Pens.
This was the first thing I drew, so it put me on my cowboy thang. I reproduced it in the photocopy machine, and made aged looking duplicates with acetone. I really want to get the time to stick it in illustrator and colour it, maybee in the summer holidays!




Dancing Cowboy


Coloured pencils and pen.
I just like his wobbly dancing arms and his rosy cheeks!



Cowboy Coffee


Coloured pencil, watercolour and pen.
Again its all in the cheeks!



Nothin' but a mean ass gunslinger


Black paper, acrylic paint, colouring pencil and pen.
I love drawing the pointy boots!



Nightime at the Camp


Paper collage, stitch, pen/pencil/paint.
I love the flat colour a paper collage gives a background. I also love to work with stitch. Im always irrationally excited by pictures that make me want to touch them for some reason! (I set off a lot off alarms in galleries)



Detail


Detail of the above picture. I like it on its own as a composition though.




Cactus


Masking fluid and paints on black paper.
This was to try to think subtractively for a change. I also like the quality of the colours you get from working on top of black.



Even whiskey drinkers and gunslingers get the blues


Acrylic paint on canvas.
This came out of the initial pen drawing of the cow-couple in the dinner. I guess it was actually pretty damn lonely being a cowboy. I chose acrylics because of the weight in their texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment